About This Blog

My name is Tyler and I am a third-year at Cal Poly in the Mechanical Engineering department. In October of 2009 I was accepted for a role in the College Program at Walt Disney World in Florida, and I am super excited to share my experiences with you!! Not all of them though, Disney had me sign a lot of papers.

Saturday, July 3, 2010

Welcome to our 3D space fantasy!

That's an actual line we're suggested to use from the operating guide for Captain EO, who made his official debut at Epcot yesterday! EO replaced Honey, I Shrunk The Audience and the Imagination Cast Members who work there could not be happier.


Captain EO is a 3D film starring Michael Jackson in a 17-minute musical space adventure. Jackson leads a "ragtag crew" through the cosmos on a mission to deliver a gift. EO and his crew crash land on a dark planet, full of dirty scrap metal, steaming vents, and decidedly unfriendly alien creatures. With the power of music, the team is able to save themselves from the wrath of the Supreme Leader and transform the planet and its inhabitants into a beautiful utopia.

Having seen the film about six times a day for the last three days, I've already had my fix. That's not to say it's not fun, I love watching people exit the theater smiling and singing along with "Another Part Of Me." Imagineering said that it wasn't possible to re-create all of the in-theater effects from 1986 (lasers are considered dangerous now, and the smoke and starfield effects were a little more than was in the budget), but they made use of some of the HISTA effects, including the mouse tail ticklers, the dog sneeze blasts, and the pneumatic floor. For those of you who've seen it recently in California, the floor here does not bounce much with the bass in the musical sequences, but gives a small shudder. During some of the battle sequences, it moves a lot more than it ever did for HISTA.

We're really glad to have new costumes! The shirts are a lighter, silkier material and have vents in the back. The guys pants aren't too different, but apparently the girls pants are not as "heinous" and high up on the waist. They're still not particularly flattering, as is the case with most Disney costumes.
I don't think the labcoat is allowed over in the theater, but whatevs.

Thanks to Captain EO and the 4th of July holiday, I have 53 hours of work this week! Which is a great improvement to the 30 I was getting before, when we only had the ride running next door. Because many of our new CP's are not yet trained in the ways of the 3D theater, they still spend their whole day on the ride. This means that I spend most of my day over in the theater, but usually still spend a little time in rotation over there.

This is the original Epcot Captain EO marquee from 1986! Imagineers found it hanging on a sign shop wall, preserved and in pristine condition.

All in all, I'm still having a blast out here in Orlando. I only have about 6 weeks left, which is sad, but I'll be so ready to leave the Imagination Pavilion and be back in San Luis Obispo for a while. I'm am almost sure that I will be working for Disney next summer in one way or another.

No comments:

Post a Comment