About This Blog

My name is Tyler and I am a third-year at Cal Poly in the Mechanical Engineering department. In October of 2009 I was accepted for a role in the College Program at Walt Disney World in Florida, and I am super excited to share my experiences with you!! Not all of them though, Disney had me sign a lot of papers.

Sunday, May 16, 2010

HISTA la vista, baby!

Louisa said it best with that line. Honey, I Shrunk the Audience had its final show on Mother's Day, May 9, exactly a week ago. The theater is officially closed for refurbishment, and probably won't be ready again until the very end of June. With one of our two attractions out of commission, that leaves our team with not much in the way of work. I NEVER thought I'd say it, but I kinda do miss HISTA. There was a lot more guest interaction, we didn't stand at a console the whole time, and talking to a crowd of several hundred with the microphone became pretty fun after the first couple weeks (if our EO gets set up like Disneyland's, we'll have just a short safety spiel in the theater). The ride just gets kinda dull after a whole day in there.

I got to open the dispatch console today though :-) Only downside is that you have to be there at 7:30am. I got to stand at the main console and ensure that our track walker triggered all of the video motion detectors, doors, and pressure mats throughout the ride. Once all of those parts are checked, we cycle the whole fleet of trains through the attraction one time. Then worklights are turned off, audio activated, and one of our cast members rides through the attraction (with Maintenance present) to ensure that all show elements are working correctly. For such a simple ride, it's got some very complicated systems all working together to make the magic.

I finally got an email back from the Encore Cast Orchestra and I'm in! They didn't say where I'll be sitting, but I'm just really excited to be part of the show this summer. It's quite a production with over 100 people in the orchestra, and over 200 in the choir. This year's concert is called Dream Our Dreams, A Musical Tribute to the Legacy of Disney. I didn't get a chance to see the whole song list, but I know it includes some classic pieces from the movies and the parks, including Bella Note, Baroque Hoedown, and One Little Spark. Rehearsals start on June 15. I can't wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment